1. Turn hot water on.
2. Turn cold water on, realize temperature is too low, turn cold water handle back the other direction in 1/8th inch increments.
3. Accidentally turn handle by 1/7th inch; remove any exposed skin from the boiling hot water stream.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for fifteen minutes.
5. Decide to take a cold shower in mid-January since you have other things to do that day.
6. Stand in shower (actually, bathtub) and shower normally, while directing water stream away from bathroom.
7. Stay alert in case water temperature inexplicably shoots up. If so, repeat steps 2 and 3 for fifteen minutes.
8. When done, turn off faucets, towel off, and use the towel to mop up the inch-thick layer of water on floor, plus the water on the shelves, walls and your flatmate’s cosmetics.
Elapsed time: 45 minutes